Wednesday 1 October 2014

Getting to know … Sarah Louise Smith @SarahSmith16



What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
It’s chick-lit… but that’s not to be confused with ‘romance’… chick-lit tends to have a little more depth, and a touch of comedy...

What made you choose that genre?
Although I read a wide range of fiction, I enjoy this one best. I love the light, easy, fun reads that give you that feel-good happy satisfied feeling.

How long does it take you to write a book?
The first took me over a year but the last two only six months.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I tend to leave it for a week or two, then write all day on a Saturday until my eyes are sore and my wrists ache! Once I start, I cannot stop.

Where do you get your ideas for your books?
Usually a day-dream gone over-board. Something small from real-life, or another book, or film, or whatever sparks and idea and I run away with it.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I’ve been writing stories since I was a child, and I wrote a reasonably long story aged 13 for a school project, but it wasn’t until I was 30 that I completed my first novel Amy & Zach. Up until then, I was procrastinating too much, and I kept starting novels and never finishing them.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to cook and am always trying new recipes, read books, travel, and go on long walks with my family – including my dog.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Just that I could write a whole story was a surprise to me. I used to focus too much on getting to the end, and realised I needed a sub-plot or two, more description and so on. Finishing Amy & Zach was a shock and a delight for me.

How many books have you written?
Three. After Amy & Zach came Izzy’s Cold Feet – about a girl who’s about to get married and isn’t sure about her groom. Next, there’s Independent Jenny, which has just been released – about a woman whose husband has just cheated on her, and then her brother-in-law confesses he’s always had feelings for her.

Which is your favourite and why?
I think Izzy’s Cold Feet, I really liked the characters a lot and had a lot of fun writing that one. But I’m also having a lot of fun writing my fourth book so it could be knocked off stop spot soon :)

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
For a while I wanted to be an actress, then a teacher. Then a writer. I always wanted to earn money from my writing. It’s a dream come true.

What are you working on now?
My next book is about a girl who has a fling with a man from a band she’s always had a crush on, but things get complicated. I’m enjoying writing it – hopefully it’ll turn into a fun read…

Thanks so much for having me!

“I slept with someone else.”

Those five words changed everything.

After her husband Ross drops a bombshell, Jenny’s emotions go hay-wire. Things are made even more complex when his brother Aiden makes a confession of his own…

A holiday escape with her friend Hayley seems the perfect way to figure out what – and who – she wants. But Hayley has a hidden motive that results in Jenny spending time with her ex-boyfriend Will, who is now married.

Should Jenny forgive Ross? Can she ignore her feelings for romantic Aiden? And why can’t she get Will out of her head?

One thing is for sure: Jenny doesn’t want to be alone. Surely any man is better than no man, right?

About Sarah Louise Smith:
Sarah Louise Smith lives in Milton Keynes, UK, with her husband, a cute cat and a loopy golden retriever. She has an extremely lovely step-daughter and spends most of her free time writing, reading, cooking, and taking long walks.

She’s the author of three chick-lit novels: Amy & Zach, Izzy’s Cold Feet, and Independent Jenny, all published by Crooked Cat.

Sarah’s website/blog: www.sarahlouisesmith.com
You can purchase paperbacks or e-versions from all the usual online book sellers.
Follow Sarah on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SarahSmith16






Critique Service for Writers
Flash 500 Home Page: Flash Fiction, Humour Verse
and Novel Opening Chapter and Synopsis Competitions

No comments:

Post a Comment