Monday 23 September 2019

Lesley Cookman #interview #writerslife

I am thrilled to present an interview with prolific author Lesley Cookman.

What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
I would say Mystery – but I have been re-classified by the booksellers as “Cosy Crime”, a term coined in America, which I loathe with a passion.

What made you choose that genre?
I read all my parents’ collection of Golden Age authors from the age of nine, and it seemed natural to me. I had flirted with romance (sorry) but I had no aptitude for the genre.

How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends how long I’ve got! Approximately six months, I would say.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I work every day if I can, best time being afternoons. It’s my day job, so it’s got to be done!

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.
I once flew over Delhi in a glider.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
When I was 12, in Woolworths exercise books.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
How hard it is to keep coming up with plots.

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)?
Never Googled myself!

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
An actor.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?
Sorry – the first novels I wrote were – shock horror – on a typewriter. I think there were a couple of ill-fated romance novels somewhere in typescript. By the time computers came into my life I was working with them, so not trying to get published as a novelist. There are a few ideas saved in there, though, from years ago, carefully transferred with each computer upgrade. None of them fit into either of my two current series, so I doubt they will ever see the light of day!

Lesley Cookman is the author of the Libby Sarjeant Mystery Series, The Alexandrians Edwardian Mysteryseries, two romance novels, a How To book and numerous short stories. She lives on the South East coast with two cats. Two of her four grown up children occasionally live with her.


Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment