Wednesday 12 February 2020

Sheila Bugler #interview #writerslife

This week I am delighted to be hosting an interview with one of my favourite writers: Sheila Bugler.

What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
I write crime fiction novels that are most often described as psychological thrillers.

What made you choose that genre?
As far back as I can remember, I’ve wanted to write. It was only when I started reading Harlan Coben novels that I suddenly thought ‘this is what I want to write!’.

So, I set out to write like Harlan Coben but ended up turning out something a little different. I don’t think any writer really knows what they’ll write until they start writing and see what happens. That’s the magic of doing something creative.

How long does it take you to write a book?
I can’t write full time because, like many writers, I also have a day job. So, I have to fit my writing in around work, which used to mean it took me a year to write a book. However, my new publishing contract is to produce a book every six months so I’ve had to become more efficient with my time!

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
During the week, I try to get up at 5.30 and write for an hour before the rest of the family starts to wake up. After that, it’s all about being a taxi service for my children and getting the day job done. I also try to write at the weekends. It’s not ideal, and I’d love to be able to write full time, but it’s worked for me so far.

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.
I always describe myself as an ‘Irish writer’ because my parents are Irish and I grew up in Ireland. In fact, I was born in England (Leicester), where I lived until I was six.


When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I finished my first book in 2008. I was forty – a good age to write your first book, I think.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I adore walking. We live on the edge of the stunning South Downs national park – a beautiful place to walk, with plenty of lovely country pubs to stop off along the way.


 What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
It gets harder, I think. Somehow, you’d imagine it should get easier but it doesn’t!

How many books have you written?
Lots! Four novels published and at least four more festering in various dark, dusty corners of my house. Sometimes I’ll write a book that’s not quite good enough. Over time, I’ll use bits and pieces of the plot in other books I’m writing.

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)?
I used to Google myself a lot. Now, I don’t do it at all. I think I used to love the thrill of seeing articles about me and my books. I’m not sure why I stopped – I just did.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
A writer.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?
See earlier question  – lots!

Author bio:
Sheila grew up in a small town in the west of Ireland. After studying Psychology at National University Ireland (Galway), she left Ireland and worked in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland and Argentina before finally settling in Eastbourne, where she now lives with her husband, two children and a scruffy dog.

She is a creative writing tutor for the Writers Bureau and she reviews crime fiction for crimesquad.com

Twitter: @sheilab10
Instagram: sheilabsussex

List of titles
Hunting Shadows
The Waiting Game
All Things Nice
I Could Be You



Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment