Thursday 28 November 2019

Sasha Lane #interview #writerslife

Welcome to Sasha Lane, author of Girl, Always and Forever, Girl,Unconventional, Girl, Unhinged and Girl, Conflicted for this week’s interview.

What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?  Contemporary Romance, chick lit, funny romance

What made you choose that genre?
I initially wanted to write crime novels as I love crime fiction as well as Romance, but my writing is much too light hearted for that so I switched to Romance and it’s been the best thing for me – I love writing funny romance books.

How long does it take you to write a book?
About a year from initially starting the book to completing the full edit and ready for publication.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Crazy! I work full time so try to write a couple of hundred words a night during the week, and then a few thousand on both Saturdays and Sundays.

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.
I have a Criminal Justice Degree which I completed in my thirties.  I did this through distance learning and gained a 2:1 BA Honours degree which I’m hugely proud of. I absolutely loved it! It was such hard work but really interesting, and it has probably changed my perspective on life.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote my first book in 2012 which was released in 2013.  I was 33 when it was released as an eBook.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love jogging, yoga, catching up with friends, and curling up on the sofa watching Box Sets with my boyfriend and two cats!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
How emotionally attached I am to the whole process.  I can remember when the delivery of paperback copies of my first book arrived. I was so excited and so proud that I was actually holding a book in my hand that I had written.  But then I remember feeling really protective of that book, and fearing putting it out there for people to read and potentially criticise as well as love.  It took a while for me to realise that if someone doesn’t like your book; that’s ok – nothing bad happens, but thankfully I have had great feedback so far!

How many books have you written?
My fourth book is released on October 5th. This is the last book in the series which all follow the same characters.

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)? 
I found lots of articles/websites showing interviews with me about my books and I was surprised how much stuff I’ve done – it’s really nice to see and to remind myself that the effort I put in marketing my books, and myself as an author, are worth it.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a vet because I love animals – as it turns out, I hate the sight of blood so would have probably made a really bad vet!

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?
Two unfinished projects which I’m hoping to come back to.  I’m trying to mix my love of chick lit and crime by doing a light-hearted crime novel, kind of ‘girl turns detective’ rather than a traditional crime book.

Contact Sasha Lane:
Twitter: @sashalaneauthor
Instagram: www.instagram.com/sashalaneauthor
Website: www.sashalane.com



Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment