Thursday 18 June 2020

Book Review: The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce

The Strange Book of Jacob Boyce by Tom Gillespie is very well named as it takes readers on a journey which is mystical, magical, weird, obsessive, twisted and compelling – but above all, strange!


Following Jacob Boyce as he tries to find his missing wife, Ella, while unravelling the mysteries surrounding a painting he is convinced contains answers to scientific questions, the reader is swept into a dark labyrinth of misdirection, madness and obsession.

Tom Gillespie weaves so many layers into this novel that it is impossible to cover them all without spoilers. Suffice to say I haven’t read another book like this and doubt I will again. The fluid writing, complex plot and incredible (in all senses of the word) characters make this a superb read.

The use of Spanish was fine for me as I live in Spain, but I did wonder if it might cause an issue for other readers.


Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment