Monday 28 September 2020

Digging Deeper with Evonne Wareham

Digging Deeper with Evonne Wareham

Many thanks to Lorraine for inviting me onto her blog to talk about my latest book,  A Wedding on the Riviera, and to dig a little deeper into my characters for you.

I write in the genre romantic suspense, which means that you get a fully fledged love story along with the crime and dead bodies. Both sides have to be balanced, so the outcomes are equally satisfying in romance or mayhem, but all that I write is escapism, pure and simple. As you might guess from the title and cover, A Wedding on the Riviera is at the lighter end of the romantic suspense spectrum, although I do write at the grittier end as well. 

This book centres on a group of friends setting up a sting to catch a runaway groom - a con man who leaves successive brides at the altar, absconding with a lot of money. The book has its dark moments - the con itself is devastating for the women involved, and the ending... Well I mustn’t give too much away. 

In contrast, I had a great deal of fun researching and creating the wedding to end all weddings, at a glitzy villa in the South of France. That was the lure to bait the sting, and I got to indulge my love of glamour and sunshine.  

Did I mention I like to write escapism? Alongside the crime thread, my heroine and hero, Nadine and Ryan, have baggage and barriers to overcome before they get to their happy ending. And there does have to be a happy ending. For me, that’s a given.

My con man villain, Thackeray, talking about my hero, Ryan

Let’s face it – the man is a loser. An actor – which means out of work most of the time. Good looking, if you like the big brute, long haired, forgot to shave look – and I know some women do - but basically, he’s just a lout. He met Nadine through the dating agency where she met me and he’s still hanging around, although she’s with me now. How he afforded the fees I don’t know. He has to be looking to hit on a woman with money. I have to say he needs to smarten up his act if that’s his plan. I should know. You need a certain style... He really isn’t any kind of a threat. I’ve told Nadine what he must really be up to, and she understands. She already relies on me. I like a woman who listens.

Ryan on Thackeray

Smooth – that’s John Thackeray. Everything about him is designed to impress – clothes, grooming, car. All tasteful, well chosen and expensive – and none of it paid for. He has got style – I’ll give him that. He’s the sort of guy a successful woman like Nadine should be with – if any of it was real. It’s job of work to him, convincing a woman the he’s the man of her dreams. He does it well, but it’s all a facade. Underneath he’s just a manipulative thief. Nadine knows that. She’s not going to be convinced by anything he does, but that doesn’t mean she won’t see the contrast between us. He thinks I’m a lout, I know that too. When he saw me, I was playing a part, and he didn’t recognise me from before. That was a good thing, but the contrast is real. It’s still there. Will Nadine remember that, when this is over?

Casting hero and heroine

I know a lot of authors mentally cast their characters when they are writing, but it’s not something that I usually do. In this case, when the first draft for A Wedding on the Riviera was  finished, which was some time ago, I was walking through the cosmetic hall of a big department store and saw posters on the Lancôme counter advertising their Tresor perfume, with Penelope Cruz and Noah Mills – and they were a perfect image for Nadine and Ryan.

Disposing of a body

I’ve never actually concealed a body. All my deaths so far have been visible – including one involving an express train out of Paddington station. As I am an academic as well as a writer, I have always thought that those individual desks - carrels - in a library or archive had distinct possibilities. Late at night, low lighting, the body propped up in its seat...

***

Bio

Evonne is an award winning Welsh author of romantic suspense - more crime and dead bodies than your average romance. She likes to set her book in her native Wales, or for a touch of glamorous escapism, in favourite holiday destinations in Europe. She is a Doctor of Philosophy and an historian, and a member of both the Romantic Novelists’ Association and the Crime Writers’ Association.

Twitter  https://twitter.com/evonnewareham

Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/evonnewarehamauthor/

Website  www.evonnewareham.com

Blog  www.evonneonwednesday.blogspot.com

Book Description

A return to the Riviera on the trail of a runaway groom ...

When out-of-work actor Ryan Calder attends a wedding as the plus-one of successful businesswoman, Nadine Wells, he doesn’t expect to get in a scuffle with the groom.
But Ryan has a good reason. He recognises the groom from another wedding where the same man made a quick getaway, taking the wedding money and leaving a heartbroken bride in his wake. It seems he's struck again, and Nadine's poor friend is the target.
Ryan and Nadine decide they can’t let it happen to another woman, so with a group of friends they hatch a plan that will take them to the French Riviera, hot on the heels of the crooked groom. But could their scheme to bring him to justice also succeed in bringing them closer together?

 Buy links for A Wedding on the Riviera

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3mYZKRC

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/a-wedding-on-the-riviera

Apple: https://books.apple.com/us/book/a-wedding-on-the-riviera/id1527067169?itsct=books_toolbox&itscg=30200&at=11lNBs

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-wedding-on-the-riviera-evonne-wareham/1137460211?ean=2940162842545

 

 

 

 

 



Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment