Wednesday 2 September 2020

Interview with Rebecca L. Marsh

Today I am delighted to feature an interview with Rebecca L. Marsh.


What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?

They best fit into the category of women’s fiction or contemporary fiction. The first one, however, (When the Storm Ends) has a psychological aspect and could loosely fit in crime fiction since there is a murder. I sometimes call it a psychological drama with a mystery angle, but instead of a ‘who done it,’ it’s a ‘why did she do it.’

My second novel (The Rift Between Us), as well as the third one (soon to be released) both have a romance side (the sweet kind), but it is not the over-reaching story in either.

What made you choose that genre?

While I enjoy reading (and watching on TV) many different kinds of stories, the emotional ones, the ones that make me feel deeply) are the ones that really stick with me. And that is what I want to do, write stories that make people feel something.

How long does it take you to write a book?

The first one took the longest—five years. My daughter was a small child and there wasn’t a lot of time for it. Then I spent a good deal of time fixing it up and learning about different roads to publishing. The second book was a little quicker, but still pretty slow. The third was faster (two years, maybe a little less), but it’s hard to say exactly because I actually started that one before the second and went back and forth a couple times.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I don’t keep a hard schedule, but I mostly write in the afternoon unless something comes to me that I need to get down right away.

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.

You often hear people say that a writer writes what they know, but I have the hardest time writing about things I’ve actually experienced that were emotional.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I was about 29 when I started the first book and 34 when I finished it. But I started writing stories when I was 12 and did attempt the start of a novel in high school, but didn’t finish it.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Spend time with my family, read, watch TV, and give attention to my pets.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

Formatting was hard the first time and I found out how little I knew about using MS Word.

How many books have you written?

I’ve completed three so far. Two are published (When the Storm Ends & The Rift Between Us) and the third (Where Hope is Found) is going to be published in October.

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)?

Not generally.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

My desire to be a novelist began at 12. There were no huge aspirations before that.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?

Two. One I’m working on to be the next book I publish and one I started quite a while ago and didn’t get very far with. I do plan to get back to it at some point.

Bio

Rebecca L. Marsh is an author of women's fiction and a member of the Paulding County Writer’s Guild. She grew up in the mountains of Western North Carolina, and now lives in Dallas, Georgia, with her husband and daughter.

When not writing, she enjoys spending time with her family (cats and dog included), watching movies, and reading a good book. Rebecca occasionally makes home-made candy and works on her scrapbooks (she is woefully behind).

Her novels, When the Storm Ends and The Rift Between Us, are available on Amazon in paperback and eBook form. Her third novel, Where Hope is Found, will be released in October.


Website: https://www.rebeccalmarsh.com/

Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/RebeccaLynnMarsh

Amazon author page: author.to/rebeccalmarshamazon

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18198824.Rebecca_L_Marsh


Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment