Wednesday 11 December 2019

Carol Warham #interview #writerslife

Delighted to feature an interview Carol Warham this week.

What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
My novel is very much a contemporary (modern) romance.

What made you choose that genre?
My inspiration for the novel came from a location, and from that the idea of the story came. It seemed obvious (to me) it was going to be a romance.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Oh dear. It literally takes me years! I began writing Resolutions five years before publication. I put it away many times, until a friend persuaded me it was worth working on. Currently I have two WIPS which have been ‘on the go’ for two years. They are both historical and demanding a lot of research.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
At best erratic. I’m at the beck and call of family and other commitments. Fortunately I don’t have to work to a deadline.

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.
I used to be a magistrate

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
As a child I would write and draw little comics for my dolls and for friends. Resolutions is my first full novel.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I keep myself busy with grandparent ‘duties’ and belonging to various groups in the village where we live. Shortly I will be volunteering for the Huddersfield Literary Festival. There are never enough hours in the day!

 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I think I’ve learnt two things which have surprised me. The first is that it is much much harder to write a novel than anyone might imagine. The second, very pleasant, surprise is the generosity and support that the writing community offers. Everyone is so helpful with advice and encouragement.  

How many books have you written?
One and two halves (of different books)!

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)?
I don’t google myself.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
After I’d been through the actress stage I wanted to be a newspaper reporter. I did get there but soon decided it wasn’t for me.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?
I’ve got the two I’m working on and three others I discarded, but would like to return to one day.

Author Bio

Resolutions is Carol’s debut novel and is set in a location close to where she lives.
Writing has been her love since childhood. She started by making small comics for her dolls, progressed to training as a journalist for a short while. Once the family had grown up Carol settled down to writing and published short stories, poems and holiday articles.

In recent years she has become a judge in the short story section for the HysteriaUK competition and also for the RNA’s romance novel of the year. She is currently working on an historical novel set at the time of the Armada.

Carol lives in Yorkshire, surrounded by some beautiful countryside, which is ideal for her other passion of walking, often with a dog called Sam.



Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment