Wednesday 4 December 2019

Lizzie Chantree #interview #writerslife

Today I am delighted to host an interview with Lizzie Chantree.

What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
My novels are either romantic comedies or contemporary romance. I love romance novels!

What made you choose that genre?
My youngest daughter was unwell (she’s fine now), so I decided to write a book, to bring some sunshine into my life at a dark time. I chose romance as it lifted my mood and made me smile. I wanted to share some happiness with my readers when they might need it too. At that point I didn’t know if I would find any readers as I hid my first book in a cupboard for five years, until my daughter’s health improved.

How long does it take you to write a book?
My first book took a year of very late nights to write, but now they take about six months from first draft to final edit.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I do the school run and then sit at my desk until the next school run. Then I’m back at my desk. I do enjoy writing in bustling coffee shops too though, especially if there is cake. I run a Twitter networking hour called #CreativeBizHour for creatives every Monday night, 8-9pm GMT, where I mentor other creatives.

Tell me something about yourself your readers might not know.
I was voted as one of Fair Play London and The Patent Office’s Female Inventors of the year in 2000, which meant I was invited onto lots of television programmes and featured in glossy magazines and National newspapers. It was a real treat, but I was a bag of nerves!

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I published my first book when I was 40. I wrote it when I was 35.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to paint huge landscapes. I used to exhibit them when I was younger. I also like to walk my little dog and sit and chat with friends and family.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I am in awe about chatting to and meeting my readers. They are amazing people. They are so generous with their time and they share news about my work and buy my books. They tell me when they enjoy my stories and then tell their friends and post reviews. That’s incredible to me and it’s what keeps me writing.

How many books have you written?
I have five that are published, one ready to print, one in edits and a new manuscript I’m writing. My published books are, Babe Driven, Love’s Child, Finding Gina, Ninja School Mum and If you love me, I’m yours.

Do you Google yourself? What did you find that affected you most (good or bad)?
I have never Googled myself. I think it would make me a nervous wreck. Goodness knows what I might find out about myself there!

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I was always fascinated by books and stories. I went to creative writing classes and joined writing groups, but my dream of becoming an author came later. I wanted to do a creative job that involved art and design in some way. My first job was as a graphic designer and I worked for clients like Converse. I set up my own business at the age of nineteen and then had to change my career when my child became unwell. She now proudly tells everyone that she was the catalyst for my new career and she’s right.

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have on your computer?
I have one unpublished, one unfinished and many more ideas that are raring to be written. I can’t wait!

Author Bio:
Award-winning inventor and author, Lizzie Chantree, started her own business at the age of 18 and became one of Fair Play London and The Patent Office’s British Female Inventors of the Year in 2000. She discovered her love of writing fiction when her children were little and now runs networking hours on social media, where creative businesses, writers, photographers and designers can offer advice and support to each other. She lives with her family on the coast in Essex.

Book links:
Universal book buy link: If you love me, I’m yours: viewbook.at/IfYouLoveMe-ImYours
Universal book buy link: Ninja School Mum: viewBook.at/NinjaSchoolMum
Universal book buy link: Babe Driven: myBook.to/LizziesBooks
Universal book buy link: Love’s Child: viewBook.at/Amazon-LovesChild
Universal book buy link: Finding Gina: viewbook.at/FindingGina

Social media links:
Wordpress:     https://lizziechantree.com




Critique Service for Writers

Writing Competitions

Join the D.I. Sterling Mailing List for News, Updates and Giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment